Pages

Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Dinner

My husband has been out of town for the last few days, so I haven't been cooking that much. I did however, snag some gorgeous fall produce at Whole Foods on Monday, so I am going to make Honey Roasted Root Vegetables tonight. I came across this recipe years ago in an issue of Cooking Light magazine, and have made it every fall since. It is a delicious, filling, guilt-free recipe that celebrates the flavors of fall.



I used golden turnips and what I thought were Japanese sweet potatoes, thinking to see if the different veggies gave this dish a better flavor. Halfway through chopping the vegetable three fingers on my left hand went numb. I immediately panicked a bit, and then put a pair of latex gloves on and went back to work. As it turns out, my fingers had gone numb due to the fact that our fridge had turned the vegetables into popsicles. I rarely prepare that many vegetables at once, so it makes sense that it has never happened before!




I made two batches of the recipe so that we would have a healthy side dish on hand during the week. I was planning on making broiled portobello mushrooms for a main dish, but I ended up just eating a big bowl of the veggies.




I missed the American sweet potato in the dish, but I loved the golden turnips. regular turnips can be a bit sour, which when added to parsnips, creates a weird dichotomy to this dish. The golden turnips were only a little tart, which worked perfectly. I can't wait to make this again with a different type of sweet potato; it will be absolutely perfect!

No comments:

Post a Comment